August 19, 2022
Every Child a Reader announces five new Get Caught Reading posters featuring a TV host, MIT students, a previous National Ambassador for Young People, and more.
Carl Lennertz, Executive Director of Children’s Book Council and Every Child a Reader said: “This is one of my favorite projects and I’m grateful to the AAP for creating it years ago.”
The first round of 2022 posters include:
- Terry Crews – An author, illustrator, sitcom star, TV host, and human rights activist best known for his breakout roles on Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Everybody Hates Chris as well as for hosting America’s Got Talent. Terry’s Crew is his debut middle-grade graphic novel.
- Jackie Azúa Kramer – An internationally translated and award-winning children’s book author. Her upcoming books include We Are One, Manolo and the Unicorn, Empanadas for Everyone, and I am Salsa.
- Malik & Miles – “As Black students in the STEM community, we aim to spread science advocacy and diversity to students of all ages. We want to increase the number of people interested in the sciences and higher education through virtual presentations to students in K-12 education. We are Biological Engineering Ph.D. students at MIT. We graduated from MIT with a degree in Biological Engineering and a minor in African and African Diaspora Studies. Recently, we have started social media accounts on TikTok, Instagram, Twitter, and Discord promoting STEM and higher education in fun and relatable ways.”
- Charles Waters – An author, educator, and actor who’s co-written (with Irene Latham) multiple books including Be A Bridge, African Town, Dictionary For A Better World: Poems, Quotes and Anecdotes from A -Z, and the award-winning Can I Touch Your Hair? Poems of Race, Mistakes and Friendship. His poems have also appeared in numerous poetry anthologies.
- Jacqueline Woodson – She is best known for her National Book Award-Winning memoir Brown Girl Dreaming, and her Newbery Honor-winning titles After Tupac and D Foster, Feathers, and Show Way. Her picture books The Day You Begin and The Year We Learned to Fly were New York Times Best Sellers. After serving as the Young People’s Poet Laureate from 2015 to 2017, she was named the National Ambassador for Young People by the Library of Congress and Every Child a Reader for 2018–2019.
Every Child a Reader thanks the many publishers for connecting us to these fantastic authors.
Over two dozen 8 ½” x 11” posters are available free to teachers, librarians, booksellers, and parents. The program was relaunched in 2018 thanks to a grant from KPMG and a poster featuring Olympic gold medal gymnast Laurie Hernandez. In 2019 and 2020, posters featuring bestselling authors Kate DiCamillo, Raj Halder, and Raakhee Mirchandani, plus the animated character Phoebe and her Unicorn were made available. Backlist posters include Alicia Keys, Neil Gaiman, Alex Morgan, Horton (Horton Hears a Who!), and Olivia (Olivia book series).
Up to 10 different posters can be ordered on the order form at www.GetCaughtReading.org.
About Get Caught Reading
A nationwide, year-round campaign to promote the fun of reading books for all ages. Launched in 1999 by the Association of American Publishers and now managed by Every Child a Reader. Get Caught Reading provides teachers and librarians with bulletin board-sized posters of authors, athletes, media stars, and beloved book characters caught reading a favorite