February 5, 2024
This year marks the 25th anniversary of Get Caught Reading! Beginning as a May celebration, we are now year-round, and we’ve added 100 new posters in the last 5 years.
These bulletin board-size posters feature role models including children’s book authors, illustrators, teachers, librarians, booksellers, community leaders, and advocates for many important causes.
Here are the 9 new posters!
- Alexene Farol Follmuth is the author of the young adult rom-coms Twelfth Knight and My Mechanical Romance. As Olivie Blake, she is the New York Times bestselling author of The Atlas Six, Alone with You in the Ether, One for My Enemy, and Masters of Death. She lives in Los Angeles with her husband, goblin prince/toddler, and rescue pit bull.
- Byron Graves is Ojibwe and Lakota and was born and raised on the Red Lake Indian Reservation in Minnesota, where he played high school basketball. When he isn’t writing, he can be found playing retro video games, spending time with his family, or cheering on his beloved Minnesota Timberwolves. Rez Ball, his debut novel, was just awarded the American Library Association’s 2024 William C. Morris Award for a debut book published by a first-time author writing for teens and was awarded the 2024 American Indian Youth Literature for Best Young Adult Book.
- Michell Wright Jumpp is an elementary school librarian in Newburgh, NY. She seeks community partnerships to build an inclusive and robust learning environment that inspires unrestricted “ink drinkers” and civically engaged students. Named NYS School Librarian of the Year, Michell has also been featured on The Today Show. She and her family love traveling, dancing, learning about diverse cultures, and dancing, and she writes poetry, classroom jingles, and is working on her first children’s book.
- Sandor Ellix Katz is an author, educator, activist, gardener, cook, and nature-lover who lives in rural Tennessee. He says that books have opened many important doors for him. His many books include The Art of Fermentation, winner of the James Beard Foundation Book Award. He is also the subject of the children’s biography, Sandor Katz and the Tiny Wild.
- Khoa Le is an illustrator from Vietnam. She graduated from University of Fine Arts in Ho Chi Min City and has been working in publishing most of her life. She has illustrated many books published in Vietnam, Europe, the United States, and the United Kingdom, including The Lonely Polar Bear, Say My Name by Joanna Ho, Miriam at the River by Jane Yolen, and Sugar in Milk by Thrity Umrigar. She currently works and lives with her cats.
- Jacqueline Briggs Martin is the author of many books, including the Caldecott Medal winner Snowflake Bentley. Her “Food Heroes” biography series, profile living food pioneers who grow communities through food. The latest is Sandor Katz and the Tiny Wild. She grew up in a Maine farm and now lives in Mount Vernon, Iowa.
- Daisy Rain Martin is a writer and English/Literature teacher. She encourages her students to support the Family Justice Center, an organization that supports and empowers families impacted by domestic violence. Together, they provide those in need with basic necessities. Additionally, every young person, 0-18, may choose a new book as a gift. She was named Idaho Human Rights Educator of the Year in 2023.
- Rebecca Williford is a proud wheelchair-user and attorney whose work is improving accessibility for people with all types of disabilities nationwide. She has been globally recognized for her work as the President & CEO of Disability Rights Advocates, a national nonprofit legal center that dismantles systemic barriers in education, healthcare, technology, transportation, and more through impact litigation.
- Pizza and Taco are the heroes of a bestselling and hilarious young graphic novel series from the mind and pen of Stephen Shaskan. Stephen has written and illustrated over a dozen children’s books. He holds a BFA in illustration from Rhode Island School of Design and worked with kids for twenty years as an early childhood educator and art teacher. He loves performing at musical storytimes, presenting at schools, conferences, and festivals, and teaches comic classes to kids. Stephen often collaborates with his wife, author Trisha Speed Shaskan.
Over two dozen 8 ½” x 11” posters are available free to teachers, librarians, booksellers, and parents. The program was relaunched in 2018 thanks to a grant from KPMG and a poster featuring Olympic gold medal gymnast Laurie Hernandez. In 2019 and 2020, posters featuring bestselling authors Kate DiCamillo, Raj Halder, and Raakhee Mirchandani, plus the animated character Phoebe and her Unicorn were made available. Backlist posters include Alicia Keys, Neil Gaiman, Alex Morgan, Horton (Horton Hears a Who!), and Olivia (Olivia book series).
Up to 10 different posters can be ordered on the order form at www.GetCaughtReading.org.
About Get Caught Reading
A nationwide, year-round campaign to promote the fun of reading books for all ages. Launched in 1999 by the Association of American Publishers and now managed by Every Child a Reader. Get Caught Reading provides teachers and librarians with bulletin board-sized posters of authors, athletes, media stars, and beloved book characters caught reading a favorite!