How Do You Book? Challenge
Kids everywhere can join in the fun of Children’s Book Week. The How Do You Book? Challenge asks young readers to explore what they read, how they read, and where they read. Kids of all ages can participate on their own, with adults, or in groups, using the provided activity ideas and questions.
How it Works
How to facilitate the challenge:
- Tell kids the categories and ask them which topics they are already interested in and which topics they want to learn more about.
- Talk to kids about the what, where, and how of reading. In this challenge “book” is a verb.
- What do you book? — Mystery? Books about science? Picture books?
- Where do you book? — In your room? On the beach? In the car?
- How do you book? — Upside down? Laying on the floor? In your favorite chair?
- Take a look at the various activities. Which ones look challenging? Which ones look like fun? Which ones encourage exploration of something totally new and different?
- Help kids complete one or more of the activities that stand out to them. They can complete as many as they want to create their How Do You Book Declaration! (Examples provided)
- Take a look at the declarations of others by following #HowDoYouBook on social media.
- Have a printer? Download our challenge certificate.
- Create! Kids can create a physical representation of their How Do You Book Declaration. It can be a drawing, poem, short story, clay model, video, photo, or any other visual representation of how they book.
- Share! Share declarations and visuals by posting online using #HowDoYouBook or emailing us at email@example.com (Subject line: How Do You Book Challenge Declaration).
How Do You Book? Activities
Activities and resources are available!.
How Do You Book Challenge
Download and fill out the certificate for the kids in your life or for yourself.
Kids of all ages can participate on their own, with adults, or in groups to explore all the different ways they “book.” By completing activities in three categories, readers of all ages can pinpoint their reading preferences. Do you like to read inside or outside? In a chair or laying in bed? While listening to music or in silence? Do you love historical fiction or fantasy, memoir or STEAM books?
Join our community
Follow us on social media to see updates and pictures from #HowDoYouBook celebrations across the country.
Sign up for our newsletter to get information on all of our exciting programs, Children’s Book Week, the Kids’ Book Choice Awards, and the National Ambassador for Young People’s Literature.
More Resources and FAQs
What is Children’s Book Week and how can you join in the celebrations?
Tons of downloadable bookmarks, activities, and more for 2023 Book Week events.
Promote your 2023 Children's Book Week celebration with these tools.
Find Your Spark with this new challenge!
Information about our partners.